Pea and Goat’s Cheese Risotto
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock, preferably organic
- 70g butter
- half an onion, finely chopped
- 100g streaky bacon, cut into matchsticks
- a bunch of fresh thyme
- 400g risotto rice
- 150ml white wine
- 200g frozen peas
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 115g crumbly goat's cheese
- 115g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Step 1. Heat the stock in a saucepan. In a separate pan, heat a knob of the butter, then add the onion, bacon and thyme and fry for about 8 minutes until the onion is soft but not coloured. Add the rice and turn up the heat so it almost fries.
Step 2. After a minute the rice will look slightly translucent. Add the wine and keep stirring.
Step 3. Now add a ladle of hot stock and a pinch of salt. Turn down the heat to a fairly high simmer. Keep adding ladlefuls of stock, stirring constantly and allowing each ladleful to be absorbed completely before adding the next.